You know that gas station on the northeast corner of Sheridan and Broadway in Lake View? Yea,h, say good bye to that thing.
Plans have been filed with the city to replace the service station with a 10-story residential block. The new building will be oriented north-south, which will either protect Wrigleyville from horrible winds off the lake in winter, or starve it of moderating breezes off the lake in the summer. Your choice.
The developer of the new building is Vermilion Development. You may remember that name from Harper Court down in Hyde Park. The new building will have about 100 apartments, and room for a retail store on the corner of Broadway and Sheridan.
That’s a much smaller building than the one originally proposed by Sedgwick Properties in June of 2014. That plan called for an 18-story building with 120 residences. Following objections from neighbors, the plan was trimmed to 15 stories. which turned out to still be too tall for neighborhood groups.
Somewhere along the way the developer changed, and Vermilion appears convinced that it can get 10 stories through City Hall.
- Address: 3901 North Broadway Street
- Developer: Vermillion Acquisitions
- Gross site area: 32,455 square feet
- Net site area: 20,307 square feet
- Floor area ratio: 5.0
- Retail space: 1,547 square feet
- Levels: 10
- Maximum height: 105 feet
- Roof height: 99 feet
- Length: 200 feet
- Width: 100 feet
- Residences: 100
- Parking spaces: 65
- Residential entries: North Broadway Street and West Sheridan Road
- Loading docks: one
- Loading dock access: via West Sheridan Road
- Green roof alert! 6,259 square feet (minimum required by city)
Did you enjoy this article? Click to give the author a few cents.